The Tibetan Terrier - often called the
Holy Dog of Tibet - has evolved over
hundreds of years of harsh
conditions, in the care of the Monks
high in the Himalayas.
The "little people", as they were
called, were highly valued as
companions to the monks and
families who owned them. They were
treated like children in the family.
They were never sold, only given as
In 1922 Dr. Agnes R.H. Greig, a
surgeon from Northern India, saved
a woman’s life and was given a
female Tibetan Terrier in gratitude.
Dr. Greig requested to show her at
the Delhi Show in India. The judges
having never seen this breed
before, suggested to Dr. Greig that
she obtain a mate from Tibet and
breed them to see if it was a true
breed. On Christmas day in 1924, Dr.
Greig’s Tibetans had their first litter.
Her female Tibetan was named
“Bunti” and her male from Tibet was
named “Rajah”. Eventually, the India
Kennel Club had seen 3 generations
and decided that this was a pure
breed and were named Tibetan
The first "official" Tibetan Terrier in
the United States was "Gremlin
Cortina," a black with white female
imported by Dr. and Mrs. Henry
Murphy of Great Falls, Virginia, from
the Lamleh Kennels of Dr. Greig.
Mrs. Murphy later imported a mate
for "Girlie" (as Gremlin Cortina was
called.) He was a tri-color named
Kalai of Lamleh. The first litter was
born at the Murphy's home in 1957,
and "Lamleh of Kalai" became the
suffix of Alice Murphy's Tibetans
Terriers. This began a life-long
devotion to the breed on the part of
Alice Murphy. In addition to her own
dogs, she founded Tibetan Terrier
Club of America (TTCA)and served as
its president from 1957 to 1974. She
was a member of the club's Board of
Directors until her death in 1976.
Here is a list of helpful
places for you to visit.
Click on the links below.
The Tibetan Terrier was admitted to registration in
the American Kennel Club Stud Book on May 1, 1973,
and to regular show classification in the
Non-Sporting Group at AKC shows October 3, 1973